2022 was an extremely important and successful year for Jakarta EE! We continue to see growth in membership, growth of compatible products, and most importantly growth of contributors and committers.
Here are some highlights from 2022:
We released Jakarta EE 10 the first innovative community driven release with the new features. Jakarta EE 10 defines a new profile specification with Jakarta EE Core Profile 10. The “Core Profile” is targeting modernized and lightweight Java applications and microservices.
The release also contains updates in over 20 specifications and adds important features requested by our global community. It also has a new profile:Jakarta EE Core Profile
- Jakarta Contexts and Dependency Injection (CDI) 4.0, including CDI-Lite that enables build time extensions
- Jakarta Security 3.0 supporting OpenID Connect
- Jakarta Servlet 6.0 for simplified programming and improved security
- Jakarta Faces (JSF) 4.0 with a modernized API using CDI
- Jakarta JSON Binding (JSON-B) 3.0 with new support for polymorphic types
- Jakarta RESTful Web Services standardizes a Java SE Bootstrap API and standard support for multipart/form-data
- Jakarta Persistence standardizing UUID as Basic Type and extending Query language and Query API
- Jakarta Concurrency 3.0 is moved to the Web Profile and enhances parallel and reactive programming models available to applications
The work on Jakarta EE 11 has started! Now is a great time to get involved and have an impact on the development of the technology. The Jakarta EE Steering Committee has approved a resolution about the next Jakarta EE 11 release with the following high level guidelines:
- Target Java version 21
- Target GA date Q1 2024
- Unified APIs improving Developer Experience
- New Specifications
- Build on the Latest Java
- Enable Community Contribution
These guidelines are provided to encourage a common community direction for Jakarta EE 11.
Jakarta EE Platform team meetings are open for everyone to attend! There are weekly calls happening on Tuesdays at 11:00 AM ET and everyone is welcome to join. Please check the Jakarta EE Specifications Calendar (public url, iCal) for details. We are looking forward to more involvement and input from the community! If you miss a call or are interested in seeing what is being discussed, check out the meeting minutes.
We have noticed growth in the individuals becoming contributors and committers in the Jakarta EE Specification projects. We encouraged, promoted and celebrated individual contributions in one of our Jakarta EE Studio sessions during the JakartaOne Livestream 2022 event.
We also had a great year for organization membership growth. New members from 2022 are:
- Beijing Vsettan Data Technology Co. Ltd.
- NEC Corporation
- Shenzhen Ping A Communication Technology Co., Ltd
- Garden State JUG
- Open Elements
Compatible Products Program
The compatible product list is continually growing!
In total for all the releases, 17 vendors with 19 products listed are on the Jakarta EE Compatible Products page so far.
- Jakarta EE 10 (5 vendors with 4 Full Profile Compatible Products and 3 Web Profile and 3 Core Profile Compatible Products; some products with multiple versions) https://jakarta.ee/compatibility/certification/10/
- Jakarta EE 9.1 (12 vendors with 11 Full Profile Compatible Products and 5 Web Profile Compatible Products; some products with multiple versions) https://jakarta.ee/compatibility/certification/9.1/
- Jakarta EE 9 (6 vendors with 6 Full Profile Compatible Products and 4 Web Profile Compatible Products) https://jakarta.ee/compatibility/certification/9/
- Jakarta EE 8 (17 vendors with 19 Full Profile Compatible Products and 6 Web Profile Compatible Products) https://jakarta.ee/compatibility/certification/8/
JakartaOne Livestream Events
Our popular JakartaOne Livestream virtual conference series has attracted many interesting speakers and even more attendees!
- 12 Keynotes
- 33 Technical Talks
- 20 Vendor Presentations
- 36+ hours
We had over 2000 registered attendees for the live event and over 3000 YouTube playlist views!
The biggest celebration of Jakarta EE is always our JakartaOne Livestream annual event! This year was no exception, JakartaOne Livestream 2022 took place on December 6, 2022 and it was a great success!
The JakartaOne Livestream virtual conferences, as you know, run in different languages as well!
This year we had the following language-specific events:
- JakartaOne Livestream - German - June 30, 2022
- JakartaOne LiveStream - Japanese - September 16, 2022
- JakartaOne Livestream - Chinese - August 31, 2022
- JakartaOne Livestream - Portuguese - September 29, 2022
If you and your community have interest in organizing the JakartaOne Livestream event, please visit jakartaone.org and find out all about hosting the event!
Jakarta EE Developer Survey!
Now in its sixth year, this is the enterprise Java ecosystem’s leading survey with thousands of developers sharing their insights from around the globe. This time around, we will launch the survey on March 16, 2023. Please take the survey and share it with your network to maximize the community outreach. Your input is greatly appreciated and matters to help Java ecosystem stakeholders better understand the requirements, priorities, and perceptions of enterprise developer communities.
Key findings of the 2022 survey include:
- Jakarta EE is the basis for the top frameworks used for building cloud native applications
- The top three frameworks for building cloud native applications include Spring/Spring Boot, which lost ground this year at 57% (60% in 2022), followed by Jakarta EE at 53% (up from 47% in 2021), and MicroProfile at 30% (down from 34% in 2021). It’s important to note that Spring/SpringBoot is reliant on Jakarta EE developments for its operation and is not competitive with Jakarta EE. Both are critical ingredients to the healthy enterprise Java ecosystem.
- Jakarta EE 9/9.1 usage has grown to 14% (vs. 9% in 2021).
- While 36% of respondents have already migrated or plan to adopt Jakarta EE 9/9.1 (with 14% already running Jakarta EE 9/9.1 in production), 19% of respondents plan to skip Jakarta EE 9/9.1 altogether and move directly to Jakarta EE 10.
- Over 59% of respondents (48% in 2021) have migrated to Jakarta EE or plan to do so within the next 6-24 months.
Stay tuned for the 2023 Developer Survey URL on March 16!
Jakarta Tech Talks
Jakarta Tech Talks is another very popular community oriented meet-up series that is designed to share knowledge and invite all interested to participate in Jakarta EE-related technologies. We had 13 sessions in 2022 and we have quite a few sessions already scheduled for 2023!
If you are interested in presenting or have an idea on what you would like to hear in a Jakarta Tech Talk, please let us know.
The Jakarta EE Working Group Charter can be viewed here. More information about the working group is available via its website and its mailing lists can be found here. The Jakarta EE Working Group is supported and backed by its industry members. The Working Group has declared these projects as being in its purview. Jakarta EE compatible products can be viewed here.
Stay Connected With the Jakarta EE Community
The Jakarta EE community is very active and there are a number of channels to help you stay up to date with all of the latest and greatest news and information. Subscribe to your preferred channels today:
· Social media: Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn Group, LinkedIn Page
· Mailing lists: firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, project mailing lists, Slack workspace
· Calendars: Jakarta EE Community Calendar, Jakarta EE Specification Meetings Calendar
· Newsletters, blogs, and emails: Eclipse Community Newsletter, Jakarta EE blogs, Hashtag Jakarta EE
· Meetings: Jakarta Tech Talks, Jakarta EE Update, and Eclipse Foundation events and conferences
You can find the complete list of channels here.
To help shape the future of open source, cloud native Java, get involved in the Jakarta EE Working Group.
To learn more about Jakarta EE-related plans and check the date for the next Jakarta Tech Talk, be sure to bookmark the Jakarta EE Community Calendar.
We always welcome your feedback!
Thank you for your interest and involvement in Jakarta EE!