As always, there’s a lot going on in the Jakarta EE community, but the Jakarta EE 9 milestone release is definitely the highlight!
Get Involved in Jakarta EE 9 Milestone Release Activities
We invite all Jakarta EE developers and Java User Group (JUG) members to help us celebrate the Jakarta EE 9 milestone release and test the software.
Please register for the Jakarta EE Milestone Release party today!
We’ll start with the celebration. On June 23 at 11:00 EDT, we’re hosting a virtual release party for the entire Jakarta EE community. To mark the occasion, and as it is a milestone release - we’ll celebrate with a small cake - cupcake! We’re encouraging everyone to do the same, but even more so, once you start trying out the milestone release, please make your own cupcake (recipe suggestions chocolate or vanilla), complete it with a celebratory Jakarta EE flag, and share a selfie picture of it on social media (tag it with #JakartaEE or use our handle @JakartaEE). If cupcakes are not your thing, you can take a selfie with the flag only as well! You can also use the example Twitter card below illustrates the idea.
Help ensure the Jakarta EE 9 software is ready for full release in fall 2020! You will have all details after the Milestone Release party on the June 23th, so you be able to
· Download the milestone release and run/ test your application and plan the work namespace changes if needed
· Use the Eclipse Transformer project for the namespace changes.
· Report issues you come across
· Also, review the Jakarta EE 9 specification documents to make sure all “Jakartafication” is done properly
Subscribe to Jakarta EE Mailing Lists
Simply scan the QR code below to choose the mailing lists you want to subscribe to. You can also access the complete listing here.
Get a First-Time Contributor’s Perspective
Ken Fogel’s Jakarta Tech Talk — My First Pull Request: The Jakarta EE Examples Adventure — is ideal for anyone who is new to the Jakarta EE community and wondering how to make their first contribution.
We have a great lineup of Jakarta Tech Talks scheduled. To stay up to date on our latest talks, visit the Jakarta Tech Talks webpage.
NEW: Friends of Jakarta EE Monthly Call
Exciting news for the Community: We have now set up Friends of Jakarta EE monthly calls that will be held on the fourth Wednesday of every month. This call is by the community, for the community. The call plays no formal role in Jakarta EE Working Group activities, it’s simply an opportunity for the community to get together virtually, set their own agenga and talk once a month.
On this call, the people who attend are the right people, the topics discussed are the right topics, and the outcomes are the right outcomes.
Here are the details for our first call:
· Date: Wednesday, June 24 at 11:00 a.m. EDT
· Agenda: https://bit.ly/2zkgQWc
· Calendar: https://bit.ly/2XKpcQa
Join Community Update Calls
Jakarta EE community calls are open to everyone! For upcoming dates and connection details, see the Jakarta EE Community Calendar.
The next call will be July 8 at 11:00 a.m. EDT and topics will include:
· Update on TCK work: Scott Marlow, Cesar Hernandez
● Jakarta EE 9 release update: Kevin Sutter
● Tools support for Jakarta EE 9 and help from the community: Neil Patterson
● Update from the Eclipse Foundation: Ivar Grimstad, Shabnam Mayel, Tanja Obradovic
We know it’s not always possible to join calls in real time, so here are links to the recordings and presentations:
· June 10 call and presentation.
Participate in Upcoming JUG Meetups
Check the list below for the JUG meetup that works best for you:
· KCJUG (Kansas City, United States): Thursday, June 18 at 5:30 p.m. CDT with speakers Kevin Sutter and Billy Korando from IBM.
For the complete list of JUG meetups, locations, and times, click here.
Stay Connected With the Jakarta EE Community
The Jakarta EE community is very active and there are a number of channels to help you stay up to date with all of the latest and greatest news and information. Subscribe to your preferred channels today:
· Mailing lists: email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, project mailing lists
You can find the complete list of channels here.
And, get involved in the Jakarta EE Working Group to help shape the future of open source, cloud native Java.
To learn more about Jakarta EE-related plans and check the date for the next Jakarta Tech Talk, be sure to bookmark the Jakarta EE Community Calendar.